10.14.2008

Apple Yum

AppleButter

Want the most awesome-est apple butter recipe that only takes 1/2 hour* of hands-on prep? It's here!

Quite seriously the yummiest apple butter I've ever made. OK, it's the only apple butter I've ever made, but it's definitely yum.

FallAppleButter

I reduced the cinnamon, added cardamom, and heeded the comment advice to use way way way less sugar: like 1/4 cup white, 1/4 cup brown and 1/4 cup honey. Also reduced the cinnamon and added cardamom. And it was still way sweet. I'm thinking of cutting the sweetener down to 1/2 cup honey only next time.

And there will definitely be a next time. This stuff rocks. I plan on getting more apples tomorrow and making a double batch for Christmas gifts (if you're on our Christmas list, please forget I just said that).

*the fine print: 1/2 hour if you have a handy dandy apple peeler/corer to use!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't been a fan of apple butter - so I will trust you that it is good! Love your pictures :)

Philigry said...

oh, i do love apple butter! i may have to try that recipe!
Have you ever made peach butter? That is pretty yummy too!

kraftykash said...

Wow! That is a great idea to give out as a gift. You are going to be very popular this year. Kashoan

Leciawp said...

I just ran across your blog via all buttoned up - nice photos! The apple butter looks great - maybe I'll give it a try...
Best,
Lecia

Jessica said...

I have a couple of apples hanging around...I really want to try applebutter...your recipe looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

The word "usnchooling" caught my eye in your twitter column. Your comment on breastfeeding and minivans made me laugh--I used to worry that my homeschooling group would kick me out for wearing mascara, but after ten years they're still letting me hang out with them.

Finding a group where you and your kids feel comfortable can be such an important part of homeschooling. I hope you found your group!

I've also been meaning to write because I started noticing people coming to my blog via ebabble. Then I noticed that you added me to your links. Aw, shucks, thanks! I think this is my first time in a links column. You were one of my very first to leave me a comment, and now this. You're a one-woman blog-support team! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing. I was getting bummed out thinking of making more apple sauce. My kids LOVE apple butter and we're giving this a try. I am skipping the cardamon because I DO NOT like it! (I just stomped my foot)