5.16.2008

Veg Love

CSAVeggies
We got our first CSA box today, WooHoo! I think I’m going to dedicate Friday posts to our weekly box content, my plans for the veggies, recipes and sources so that I can look back next year and have that info handy. I meant to do this last year, but never got around to it and now I’ve forgotten many of the dishes. So, be sure to let me know your secret recipes if your favorite veggie appears in our box!

(Speaking of weekly posts, and regarding my big plan to journal our progress in teaching our kids about sustainability, um…errr…the whole posting thing’s not quite happening. It’s not that we’re not doing those things, it’s just that whenever I sit down to write about it here it sounds all pretentious and preachy, ya know? And that’s not how I want it to be. So once again, I’ll take my own “goals not deadlines” advice and stick with mentioning our progress every now and then. OK, I feel better.)


CSAPesto

So, this week's box contents:
Green Butter Lettuce, Red Leaf Lettuce, Spinach: Salads (duh)
Carrots, Icicle Radishes: The kids and husband will eat these up. Radishes are too spicy for me. I need a radish burper like the one in the House of Tomorrow cartoon.
Green garlic, Basil: pesto
Strawberries: Already demolished by the kiddos
Rainbow Chard: sautéed with garlic, dried cranberries and walnuts or sliced almonds. Sprinkled with goat cheese. I had a similar dish at Lorenzo’s, only made with kale. It was so yummy, I had to steal it and now it’s a favorite in our house.
Sweet onions: I’m not a raw onion fan, so we’ll probably grill these puppies. Cooks Illustrated advises brushing with olive oil, salt & pepper then grilling. Sounds good, fast and easy to me, sold!

Ok that was easy, now onto the follow through. Wish me luck!


4 comments:

Julie said...

I look forward to your posts about sustainablity. It is okay if you preach to me, I need it. I welcome the wisdom. Also glad to see someone in this family eats their veggies.

Anonymous said...

MMmmm, can't wait until our farmers market starts next week!

Tamar said...

Wow, what a great idea! We should be getting out first CSA box (ever) in a few weeks and I'm so excited...and a little apprehensive about making use of all that goodness. So I'm really looking forward to Veg Friday. And inspired to chronicle our CSA adventures too!

Anonymous said...

I like your idea of sharing what's in your veg box! The recipe for the greens sounds really good.

And this is not earth shattering but when I grill onions, in addition to what you mentioned, I always add some balsamic and it turns out yummy.