6.12.2008

Mudpies and Recipes

Holden: SelfPortrait
I promised a few peeps that I would post this recipe for our current fast, easy, healthy dinner solution. This falls under the "It's 5pm and we're sitting outside making mudpies and I haven't even thought about dinner today" category.

Quinoa Salad - 30 min.
If you haven't had quinoa, you gotta try it. Trader Joe's sells it in a little vacuum packed box, but you can also buy it more economically in grocery store's bulk bin sections. We eat it alot, so i've stocked up. So here's what ya do:

Add one cup quinoa and two cups liquid (i use chicken or veggie stock and if i'm out of those, i use water and add 1 tsp of Better than Buillion - love that stuff) to a pot and heat until boiling, then turn down the heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until the grains absorb all the water.

Transfer to a bowl and let it cool (or you can eat it hot, too). I usually make it ahead of time and we have it warm.

Add some olive oil and rice vinegar and let it sit for a while to absorb those flavors.

Add stuff! I usually add whatever veggie is available, raw or cooked, nuts and cheese. Leftovers work really well in this, too. My favorites are beet, fresh spinach or arugula, goat cheese and walnuts (although you have to add the greens while still hot so they wilt). Then add a little bit more rice vinegar right before serving. It doesn't make a TON, so if it's the main course i usually make a salad, too, but we typically have it as a side dish. It's yummy, and if you bring it to a potluck people will gobble it up. Just don't let on that it's good for them!

And a mud-pie maker's self portrait above. Just cuz.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

This recipe looks yummy-perfect for a busy/hot summer day. I also love mud pies - but not to eat!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I have never heard of quinoa so had to look it up - sounds like a very versatile and wholesome ingredient! Does it taste like cous cous? I will have to see if it is available in Australia - I will ask my Sth American friend.

Anonymous said...

Is it horrible to admit I've never tried quinoa and that I'm going to check the online dictionary to figure out how to say it just in case I need to ask for it at TJs?

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Simply Stork said...

I too have never heard of quinoa...hmmmm...I might give that one a go :o)

thanks for the know how :o)

~simply~