8.13.2008

Scrappy Mats

HoldenDraw

Our day began with "three stegosaurus feet and a fiery ball from above" and ended with some new placemats for the kids.

EsmePlacemat

I've been wanting to do this project forever (do I say that about every new project I do?) and glad I finally bought the supplies as I think the fabric markers will be our new best friend, although Esme's enthusiasm over being able to color on fabric scares me a bit.

HoldenPlacemat

We started the drawings this morning and I just finished up the sewing after the kids went to bed. They picked the fabric themselves and I didn't think much about their choices -- just slapped them together keeping in mind that these will be stained in ketchup and God-knows-what before tomorrow is over -- until I just now noticed that Esme chose scraps mostly from quilts and other projects that I've made for her.

Aww, a sappy little sentimentalist in the making...not sure where she gets that, [ahem].

13 comments:

Mary Beth said...

These are so very fabulous--I love them. I want to copy you soon! (But like you it seems to take me forever to get around to any particular project). Still, this is great inspiration.

Chloe said...

Awww they are brilliant!
And the fabric goes so well with each picture too.

Have you covered them with anything or will they be ok to wash?
Such a lovely idea.

beki said...

What a great idea! I'll have to file this one away :-)

Mozi Esme said...

What a wonderful idea! One I would love to copy.

Unknown said...

That's a great project! My girls would love it :) Thanks for the inspiration

Anonymous said...

Chips off the ol' block!
Kudo's Kido's
Koka

Anonymous said...

Wow!! My grandbabies artestry is growing as fast as they are. Steggosaurus is looking much like himself these days and the squiggle mat is perfect. Can't wait to see them in person!! tutu

Jessica said...

I've been making lots of placemats these days, but not as awesome as yours. I'm going to try to do something similar with my neighbor's girls-I think that will be a great gift for them!

lisa solomon said...

such a great idea... they are so cute... i am particularly drawn to the space/astronaut fabric i spy!

Simply Stork said...

what a great idea...I love the "scrappy mat" idea :o)

~simply~

Anonymous said...

That is a GREAT idea. It would be perfect for putting in a school lunch box! Your son is still impressing me with his detailed drawings!

And man, your site is blowing up. Check out all the comments!

Tamar said...

I love, love, love these! Definitely going on my crafty dream-list.

Philigry said...

i this idea, and i know my kids will love it too. Do you just use muslin for the center square? And you mentioned fabric markers...can I get those at Joann's?
I am having a nice quiet afternoon, reading more of your blog.