5.21.2008

Catalytic Beet Cake

BeetCake3

Our catalytic converter was stolen from Brian’s truck last night, whilst we slumbered. When I called to report it stolen, the officer asked if we own a Toyota Tacoma...
Me (happily): “Yes!!! Did you find our converter???”
Police Officer: “No maam [I swear I could hear him roll his eyes]. There’s been a rash of catalytic converter thefts lately, all aimed at Toyota Tacomas.”
Me (feeling entirely stupid): “Oh. Yeah.”

BeetCake1

I’m pretty sure I was the laughing stock of the police station. And he was right -- evidently, CC theft is the latest and greatest trend
around here amongst the thief set. The whole thing just makes me sigh (and feel a little silly for thinking our car part would be recoverable).

BeetCake4

So to keep my mind off insurance claims this afternoon, we baked a resounding success of a Chocolate Beet Cake using this recipe.
I’m not sure how it survived, considering the fact that I only came up with 1 cup of pureed beets and misread the baking soda for baking powder. Either way, it was a nice surprise ending to our anti-catalytic day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for laughing at you but that is FUNNY! You should be proud though, I think it means you are a positive person in general to think that it was recovered.

Beet cake? I'm going to have try that.

Mary Beth said...

Oh, I think I would think that too--why not? Your puree is so red in the top photo! Glad you could partially salvage the day!

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about catalytic converters, but that beet cake looks delicious. Any chance of the recipe?

Anonymous said...

I just linked to this story with an embarrassing cop story of my own! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Selina said...

Dont feel stupid I had to ask my husband what a catalytic converter was! Hope the beet cake made life somewhat easier...

Catalytic Converters said...

I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks.