4.18.2008

The Why I Blog Blog

Crafty mama Lace over at Rusted Buttons has tagged me to answer some blog Q’s. So here I go:

1.
Why did you start your blog?
Aside from keeping family and friends up to date on our life (AKA giving the grandparents their weekly baby pic fix) I started my blog to connect with other crafty mom bloggers, to hold myself accountable for all the big talkin’ I do and to feel connected to the amazing explosion of creativity that is happening in the craftworld right now. It’s also a way for me to avoid keeping up to date on the kid’s baby books. I mean, who has the time to run to those books every time the wee ones do something insanely cute? And anyway, the stuff I really want to remember would never end up in the books anyway as I don’t recall a page for “baby’s first sneeze-fart combo” or “how we pried a garbanzo bean out of little Esme’s ear today.” Yeah, that is truly the stuff I want to remember and I feel free to do so via my blog.

2.
How did you come up with your blog name?
Since it took me a year to commit to WhatKnot (yeah, a year!), I really don’t remember how I came up with the name? I think it was my husband’s idea actually. And after a year of rolling it around in my head, and going through all the other names in my imaginary blog name book, I ended up picking the very first name that I was drawn to. Come to think of it, we did the same thing when naming both our kids.

3.
Do your friends and family know about your blog and what do they think?
Oh they know. And I’m sure they think I’m insane for taking on yet another project, but I think they (grandparents mostly) appreciate the pictures and peeks into our daily lives. I think I make my BFF giggle a bunch (since she calls me on the phone giggling at my posts a bunch).

4. How do you write posts?
Most of my blog writing happens in my head while I’m cooking, crafting or creating in some way. I think I do all these things interchangeably..design quilts while I’m cooking; create recipes while I’m sewing; write posts while I’m fingerpainting with my kids… Then I just have to pray that I remember everything I’ve “written” during the day when I sit down at the keyboard at night.

5.
Have you ever had a troll or had to delete unkind comments?
No trolls and no mean comments. I did delete a spam comment off flickr after I posted a picture of Holden dressed up in his pretend birthday suit. Dress up…birthday suit…what was I thinking? Of course I should’ve expected a pretend Russian girl to want to meet me with a word combo like that!

6. Do you check your stats or care how many people read your blog. If you care how do you increase traffic?
I don’t know how to check my stats, other than on flickr where they are right there front and center. I do care that people read my blog, because I’ve “met” and kept in touch with some really nice, creative, inspiring people through it. And no plans to increase traffic as again, I have no idea how to do that (or the time!)

And now the hard part… I haven’t met many bloggers yet and most of the ones I read have already been tagged. So how about Salt & Chocolate
Mary Beth and Our Grown Family Julie (my cousin-in-law!)…? Forgive me if either of you have already been tagged but if not, I'd love to hear your answers so consider yourselves “it!”

Happy weekend everyone!!!

4 comments:

Lace said...

Great idea about using your blog as a baby book type thingy... Before Isa was born I made a great book for her, sewed all the pages together and wrote in it quite often.... but that lasted ummm....basically until she was born .. and now it is buried in the closet...So I think its a smart thing to post bits about the babes! So the little fart sneeze combos dont get lost amidst the the hustle and bustle!

lisa solomon said...

i love #4.... so true. it all intermingles....

Mary Beth said...

Thanks for tagging me, Melissa. I do like this meme; it's an interesting one. I intend to answer on my blog this week.
MB

Anonymous said...

I totally hear you on 4! I sometime wonder if it would be totally dorky to get one of those little tape recorders to talk into while waiting for pick up at school or something.
I better answer my questions! :)