11.24.2008

christmas, reinvented

AdventEnvelopes

After a nice, restorative, pajama-wearing-filled weekend, I emerge eager and energized to take on the Holidays.

This particular holiday season is destined to be different than previous, as our entire stock of holiday decor rests nestled and snug in the corner of our temporary basement, behind and beneath the multitude of boxes that contain the rest of our life. Truth is, we thought we'd be in our new house by now (by Halloween, actually) but dang it to all heck, our planning skills stink and we packed those boxes in first.

So here we are, without stockings to hang by the chimney with care, without my beloved thriftstore-rescued vintage snowman collection and without the things that make everyday living feel 'holiday-y' this time of year.

Life, of course, will go on. And the challenge of having to find creative ways to appease the holiday decorating itch is quite appealing.

AdventCalendar

Because December 1st comes much, much sooner than December 25th, a new advent calendar battled its way to the top of the to-do list. Taking the idea from this adorable site, I bought a bunch of felt (the same eco-fi'd felt of PDFB turkey hand snafu project fame, might I add) and rigged together a plan for a last minute endeavor. And yes, I admit, I was sucked in by that larger-than-life ricrac. Sigh.

So far, I'm optimistic that it'll be ready by the 1st, especially after adding some buffer time in to compensate for my stinky planning skills.

And, now onto *tree decorating* (ugh). Any suggestions out there for clever-crafty-no-time tree ornament ideas???

13 comments:

kraftykash said...

I cant wait to see the advent calendar! Im always a fan of stringing popcorn. I was thinking a vintage tree would be fun this year. We will see what happens

Crazy Babs said...

We just "picked" pine cones out of the yard, mixed a watery glue (water and gloss medium), and went to town with glitter. My kids are 4 and 2 so this was the perfect 30 minute rainy Sunday afternoon project. I got some nice wonky yarn and plan to tie them, spray them with clear coat, and hang them!

Mary Beth said...

I think it will be a fun challenge to make due without your usual Christmas "stuff." Enjoy the blank slate.

Unknown said...

Your advent calendar looks great! I checked out your link - that seems like a nice project to start your decorating wheels :)

Paper chains are fun for the tree too - esp with all that scrap booking paper around. . .a blank slate sounds kinda fun, but overwhelming too :)

stepstep said...

omg - L-O-V-I-N-G that ginormous ricrac!!!! *heart*!! AND omgomg, REALLY loving that website - i shed a tear of utter love & joy when i saw it! oh yeah, 1 more thingy - i *HEART* u!

Christy said...

You could always cut paper snowflakes.Or if you are like me and take too many pictures, you could mat some snapshots of the family with christmas paper or just red and green. Add some yarn. Quick, easy and personalized.

Jessica said...

Humm, I'd make up a batch of that cinnamon cookie/ornament dough (I think it's cinnamon and glue and a bit of something else...) and go at it with Christmas cookie cutters. Of course, they're a one Christmas deal and you can throw them all away at the end of the season. I'm making these on bake day next friday with the kiddos at school.

Simply Stork said...

wonderful idea for the advent calendar!

and thanks for the idea...I need to dig mine out :o)

~simply~

lisa solomon said...

i think i remember a story about d.e. using snowballs to decorate a tree... you know the gross hostess kind? :)

i have no fear you'll think of something smashing!

Anonymous said...

Tom thinks that laying around in your pajamas all weekend is really indolent and lazy. Unfortunately, for him, the girls have inherited my love of this activity, so he has three women he's constantly trying to browbeat into getting dressed. Hee Hee.

As far as holiday prep, I feel like the anti-Mel, since we aren't gonna do a thing. We'll be traveling on the Argentine Pampa so it will be hot...in fact, it will hardly feel like Christmas!

I'll live vicariously through you.

(And my God, that is some serious ricrac!)

Alissa @ Creative With Kids said...

Hooray advent calendar!! I have got to get mine together. I mean seriously. December will be here on Monday. I'm doing little pictures for my boys either of what's for breakfast that day or of a craft we'll do later in the day. It should be fun. You envelopes are CUTE.

Kim Bates said...

Construction paper, various colors- paper chain...my 2 cents...

Regina said...

gorgeous garland!