6.27.2008

Friday = Veggies

Thank you, spoonful of sugar girls, for awarding me this lovely Arte y pico award. Aside from winning an Atari 2600 when I was in grade school (woohoo!), I’ve never won anything in my life. I wish I could bake you (and all the sweet blog peeps I’ve met) some virtual cookies or have a virtual barbecue or something. But I’ll just say thanks instead!

June Garden

I’m showing off our sweet growing garden here. I’m so proud of my little veggie babies, making their way into the world despite our novice gardening skills. As with parenting, I'm a bit overprotective and am learning, ever so slowly, that they do just fine if I let them figure things out on their own (veggies and kids).


Chocolate Cosmo

And this is our newest chocolate cosmo hatchling, Holden’s favorite flower. Truth be known, Holden adored the idea of this flower before he even met one in person because, come on –- a flower that smells like chocolate? What 4-year-old wouldn’t love that?!

Lemon Verbena

And onto the veggies... (Is this getting boring? Maybe I’ll just highlight the newfangled interesting veggies that we meet each week). We were almost successful in using up our entire CSA box in one evening with the help of my brother and his little fam. We made grilled veggie sandwiches with herbed goat cheese spread using the carrots, onions and zucchini, and Esme ate the entire batch of grilled garlic scapes before anyone could partake. The spinach and English peas went into the quinoa and the lettuce, cucumbers and radishes, along with some mint and feta, made up a green salad. Poor lonely bok choi had to spend the week in the crisper all alone, but he’ll be front and center on our dinner plates tonight. I froze the strawberries since we were way too full to eat "just one wafer-thin berry" (sorry, couldn't resist the monty python reference after spending an evening, let alone my childhood, with an MP-obsessed brother).


Lettuce + Kale

We’re getting fava beans today and I’m reeling with excitement. REELING, I TELL YOU!!! We're also awaiting: salad mix, snap peas, zucchini, garlic, white turnips, cauliflower, italian kale, and basil. I'm feeling a Pesto-making session a brewin'!

Happy weekend everyone!

4 comments:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Wouldn't mind some of your cookies! Love your analogy between growing vegies and raising childrren - too true!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that photo of the chocolate cosmo is amazing! I've never heard of that flower before!

Maybe you could make a virtual version of your quinoa salad. hmmmmmmmm!

Tamar said...

I love the veggie posts! Keep them coming. And if there are chocolate-scented flowers and virtual cookies mixed in, all the better!

Jessica said...

In my dreams, my garden is as big and beautiful and full of veggies as yours!