4.26.2009

A quilt for a fish

MiniQuilt

Esme declared this a quilt for her fish, Bloop. Meet Bloop:

BelovedBloop

Who could not love that squishy fishy face? I’ve had this mini quilt in the works for awhile now but just needed that extra little kick-in-the-pants to get it done, which A Stitch in Dye is so graciously providing with Mini Quilt Monday (thank you, malka!).

So, mini quilt it is. The triangles are cut from a disappearing nine-patch that never quite made its way to the quilting table.

MiniQuiltBinding

The binding is my all-time favorite binding fabric that adds that tiny touch of coral which every fish needs.

MiniQuiltBack

I wish I’d used a different color bobbin thread for the back. It’s a really light blue which is barely discernible, even up close. It just looks brash white (I need to consult my paint color chips for the perfect brash white description). Anyway, It’s too contrast-y for my liking.

MiniQuiltChair

But bloop is not picky (well, not with his quilts at least) so he will take it, overly contrast-y lines and all.

And I do realize that I'm a little premature with the whole Monday thing, but Brian and I are heading to this fantastical place, sans children, to celebrate our 7 year anniversary. Seven wonderful years, nary an itch to be had!

16 comments:

stepstep said...

i love bloop! the quilt is mahvalous! love the back design-super cool! hope you & bribri have tons o' fun & get to do a lil' dance, make a lil' love, get down tomorrow night! ;)

Casey said...

I love the way it's quilted! great quilt

patricia said...

I was going to write to note that I remember your anniversary last year, so I must have been reading for a year now, which is pretty cool. But then I clicked on your "magical place" link and saw Edgefield! Yes! One of my favorite places in the world! In fact, our family timed a trip to Portland a couple years back with the hubby's and my anniversary, and we left the kids behind and spent a night out there. So fun--and I especially love the gardens.

Have a wonderful time!

Julie said...

So happy to hear that you are going somewhere for you anniversary. I love that you have been part of the family for over 7 years now, here's to many more years!! Love the quilt also.

jacquie said...

love this...especially your quilting. isn't it fab what can be done with leftovers. glad you participated in mini monday...helped me find you!

jacquie said...

ooops...happy anniversary too!

Mara said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad to have found your blog. Love what you've done with a nine patch -- triangles are lovely.

Marty Mason said...

Love your mini quilt. What a great way to use waste from another project. And, it made Bloop happy too!! Oh, yes, get off your case about the quilting...it's perfect just the way it is.

Jessica said...

I. love. that. quilt. !!!!!!!!

Malissa said...

Cute! Lucky fish! I love that you took an unfinished project, sliced it up, made it more manageable by making a mini-quilt, and got it done. Lovely work.

elizabeth said...

That is such a neat quilt design! I love it. And happy anniversary, also! I hope you have a marvelous time sans kids... those times really help!

Anonymous said...

It's perfect for a fish! I really like the contrast of the thread on the back, but I'm not a quilter and being able to see the quilting lines makes me appreciate it even more.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Happy Anniversary - havea wonderful trip! Bloop is gorgeous and so is his wonderful quilt :)

Simply Stork said...

oh beautiful...and wonderful photos of it...quilts are so hard to take photos of :o)

~simply~

Lori said...

beautiful beautiful work

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! I love you mini - especially the quilting lines!